JAM Physics Syllabus
Updated for 2018This is part of the syllabi collection.
Physics JAM 2018 Syllabus
I found the ofﬁcial syllabus hard to read and print. Do not take the breakdown as indicative of any weightage. It’s simply demarcated by the baseline dot (aka the full stop).
- Calculus of single and multiple variables, partial derivatives, Jacobian, imperfect and perfect differentials, Taylor expansion, Fourier series.
- Vector algebra, Vector Calculus, Multiple integrals, Divergence theorem, Green’s theorem, Stokes’ theorem.
- First order equations and linear second order differential equations with constant coefﬁcients.
- Matrices and determinants.
- Algebra of complex numbers.
Mechanics and General Properties of Matter
- Newton’s laws of motion and applications, Velocity and acceleration in Cartesian, polar and cylindrical coordinate systems, uniformly rotating frame, centrifugal and Coriolis forces, Motion under a central force, Kepler’s laws, Gravitational Law and ﬁeld, Conservative and non-conservative forces.
- System of particles, Center of mass, equation of motion of the CM, conservation of linear and angular momentum, conservation of energy, variable mass systems.
- Elastic and inelastic collisions.
- Rigid body motion, ﬁxed axis rotations, rotation and translation, moments of Inertia and products of Inertia, parallel and perpendicular axes theorem.
- Principal moments and axes.
- Kinematics of moving ﬂuids, equation of continuity, Euler’s equation, Bernoulli’s theorem.
Oscillations, Waves and Optics
- Differential equation for simple harmonic oscillator and its general solution.
- Superposition of two or more simple harmonic oscillators.
- Lissajous ﬁgures.
- Damped and forced oscillators, resonance.
- Wave equation, traveling and standing waves in one-dimension. Energy density and energy transmission in waves.
- Group velocity and phase velocity. Sound waves in media. Doppler Effect. Fermat’s Principle.
- General theory of image formation.
- Thick lens, thin lens and lens combinations.
- Interference of light, optical path retardation.
- Fraunhofer diffraction.
- Rayleigh criterion and resolving power.
- Diffraction gratings.
- Polarization: linear, circular and elliptic polarization.
- Double refraction and optical rotation.
Electricity and Magnetism
- Coulomb’s law, Gauss’s law.
- Electric ﬁeld and potential.
- Electrostatic boundary conditions, Solution of Laplace’s equation for simple cases.
- Conductors, capacitors, dielectrics, dielectric polarization, volume and surface charges, electrostatic energy.
- Biot-Savart law, Ampere’s law, Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction, Self and mutual inductance.
- Alternating currents.
- Simple DC and AC circuits with R, L and C components.
- Displacement current, Maxwelll’s equations and plane electromagnetic waves, Poynting’s theorem, reﬂection and refraction at a dielectric interface, transmission and reﬂection coefﬁcients (normal incidence only).
- Lorentz Force and motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic ﬁelds.
Kinetic theory & Thermodynamics
- Elements of Kinetic theory of gases.
- Velocity distribution and Equipartition of energy.
- Speciﬁc heat of Mono-, di- and tri-atomic gases.
- Ideal gas, van-der-Waals gas and equation of state. Mean free path. Laws of thermodynamics.
- Zeroth law and concept of thermal equilibrium.
- First law and its consequences.
- Isothermal and adiabatic processes.
- Reversible, irreversible and quasi-static processes.
- Second law and entropy.
- Carnot cycle.
- Maxwell’s thermodynamic relations and simple applications.
- Thermodynamic potentials and their applications.
- Phase transitions and Clausius-Clapeyron equation.
- Ideas of ensembles, Maxwell-Boltzmann, Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein distributions.
- Inertial frames and Galilean invariance.
- Postulates of special relativity.
- Lorentz transformations.
- Length contraction, time dilation.
- Relativistic velocity addition theorem, mass energy equivalence.
- Blackbody radiation, photoelectric effect, Compton effect, Bohr’s atomic model, X-rays.
- Wave-particle duality, Uncertainty principle, the superposition principle, calculation of expectation values, Schrodinger equation and its solution for one, two and three dimensional boxes.
- Solution of Schrodinger equation for the one dimensional harmonic oscillator.
- Reﬂection and transmission at a step potential, Pauli exclusion principle.
- Structure of atomic nucleus, mass and binding energy.
- Radioactivity and its applications.
- Laws of radioactive decay.
Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics
- Crystal structure, Bravais lattices and basis.
- Miller indices.
- X-ray diffraction and Bragg’s law.
- Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors, variation of resistivity with temperature.
- Fermi levels.
- p-n junction diode, I-V characteristics, Zener diode and its applications, BJT: characteristics in CB, CE, CC modes.
- Single stage ampliﬁer, two stage R-C coupled ampliﬁers.
- Simple Oscillators: Barkhausen condition, sinusoidal oscillators.
- OPAMP and applications: Inverting and non-inverting ampliﬁer.
- Boolean algebra: Binary number systems; conversion from one system to another system; binary addition and subtraction.
- Logic Gates AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR exclusive OR; Truth tables; combination of gates; de Morgan’s theorem.